How did I make the art?


First, I draw the subject(s) in pencil (using the T-square to help with precision). I like to use one of those blending stumps for the shading. Then I scan the drawing into my computer and touch it up using black and white digital painting. Then, I paint it in layers - many layers, above and below the pencil layer.

The second picture shows some preliminary paint layers without the interaction of the pencil work.

The third picture shows the paint layers, the pencil layer, and numerous touch-up layers.

You should not view the process images as exact steps in completing the art. Though my technique is methodical, it is difficult to present process images that show this because of my tendency to go back and forth between parts and layers.  I tried to make them look Jewish, or like Israelites.  I used men from Afghanistan for reference.  I think the result is something more representational of what they may have actually looked like.  I even show turbans, or similar headdress, because they are mentioned in the Bible.